Timberview High School remains closed, suspect in custody after 4 injured in Texas shooting – USA TODAY

Show Caption
Hide Caption

Suspect in custody: 4 injured in a shooting at a high school in Texas

Four people were injured in a shooting at a high school in Arlington, Texas Wednesday morning, police said. The suspect is in custody.

USA TODAY, Storyful

The Texas high school where police say a student opened fire following a fight will remain closed Thursday.

Timothy George Simpkins turned himself in to police after fleeing from Timberview High School in Arlington on Wednesday. He was booked on three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and remained in custody Thursday on $75,000 bail.

Online jail records showed Simpkins was in the Tarrant County jail Thursday morning.

One person shot in the incident was in critical condition, Medical City Arlington spokesperson Janet St. James said Thursday. Another was in “good condition,” while a third was released from the hospital, she added. A fourth person was treated at the scene, police said.

Arlington Assistant Police Chief Kevin Kolbye said Wednesday the shooting occurred after a fight broke out between students. Simpkins’ family said Wednesday he was a victim of bullying and had been robbed at school before.

“The decision he made, taking the gun, we’re not justifying that,” Carol Harrison Lafayette, a family member who spoke on behalf of Simpkins’ family outside their home Wednesday. “That was not right. But he was trying to protect himself.”

More on Texas school shooting: 4 injured in shooting at Timberview High School in Arlington, Texas; suspect booked on assault, weapons charges

The first calls of the shooting came in around 9:15 a.m., and multiple shots were fired, Kolbye said. Two school resource officers responded within minutes, he said.

Simpkins fled after the shooting but called an attorney some time later, Kolbye said. After making contact with the attorney, he turned himself into police with the attorney present, Kolbye said.

A .45-caliber handgun recovered on the street within a few miles of the school is believed to be the firearm Simpkins used and will be processed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said Grand Prairie Police Chief Daniel Scesney.

About 1,700 students were at Timberview High School on Wednesday. Students were evacuated shortly after the shooting. The school is part of the Mansfield Independent School District, which said in a statement it was offering counseling services for students, staff and families.

Hanyla Milligan, a 16-year-old student at the school, said she heard a commotion just before she realized a shooting had occurred.

“Someone outside of my classroom said, ‘He just shot him,’” she said. “People were scared. They was crying. They was shaking.”